Few days ago on the my.secondlife.com trending feed, I read a post about someone who was trying to get into SL but was lost. There was also a link to the original post so I went there and read there and the description was really something.
This new user was both doing things wrong and being misleaded in twisted hints. So I contacted him, added him to my friendlist and helped him about the viewer UI, some of the different settings and showing him some nice stores and places.
There are still a lot of things he doesn't know but he knows how to make a landmark, edit his outfit, shape, how to use his minimap and walk, emote, how to change his graphic settings, windlights, etc..
I'm proclaiming myself a mentor as it's very close to what I did. Even if I'm not an official mentor, I did pretty good as he now enjoys logging in, doesn't feel lost anymore and even understand why SL is both a game and more than a game.
What does it take to get more people in SL?
It doesn't take that much and definitely not an official title.
All it takes is a little of kindness and care from each of us. Real care and not a fake one based on self-centered interests and concerns : this is probably where things go bad and why the SL community fails to bring in more people in-world.
It's not just cold outside, many people are cold in their heart too.
No comments:
Post a Comment